Tuesday, August 8

Mama's Morning Bible Time


I'm not a morning person, and I never have been. I like sleep and would prefer to wake when my body feels like it. But in these last few months, I've come to appreciate the beauty and stillness each morning offers before the little boys have awakened.

The first thing I like to do is put on my robe. It's just cozy and keeps me warm as I enter the coolness of our home. Then I like to open all the curtains in the kitchen to let in the morning light. Just so beautiful that is! Even on a cloudy day, it shows God's grace for a new day.

Turn on the coffee maker, make some coffee. Pick up my bible and sit at the kitchen table. I try my best to clean the kitchen before bed so that the kitchen is clean and ready for the day. It's welcoming to wake up to a clean kitchen table, plus it just gives the morning a good head start!

And I will admit I've only actually experienced this special mama-morning-bible-time a handful of times, since I'm still in the season of nursing. I've preferred to just be woken by my youngest, as he asks for "sheesh" one last time around 6 am, which then leads to his little eyes opening and then the happy chattering :)

So we usually just get out of bed together; open the curtains, make some coffee and then save my bible reading for breakfast time with my three little boys. I've been reading a chapter out-loud each morning from the book of Proverbs, and my oldest has been willing to sit still and listen through an entire chapter! 

Since summer has begun, mornings have been more lazy and drawn out. I think it's good to appreciate summer for what it is, and enjoy heading straight outside after breakfast instead of worrying about chores or making the beds right away. The boys usually head right outside before getting dressed. Summer is a sweet, wild and free season to cherish :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment